Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Jumping bean

My baby girl is quite active this morning. She is quite an early bird! Well... she is also a night owl... I'm starting to think that she is going to be awake, a lot, when she arrives.

Our first Lamaze class was yesterday. Thank God for free classes! We were not sure where on the Southwestern College campus that building 1680 was, and ended up parking about a mile from the class; so we were able to get a good hike out of the evening as well. Our instructor is really kind... one of those teachers who speaks with a calm voice and enunciates every word, using her hands while talking. There were about 25 other couples there, spread around the four walls of the room. Everyone had brought a blanket, and one or two pillows. My question is, who told alllll of them to bring that stuff?? Because whoever that was, totally forgot to tell me. We just brought a water bottle, haha. There were several young couples who were our age, and only about half of them were married. Also, 99% of the women were due around the same time as me... and their bellies were huge compared to mine. It was almost embarrassing... the difference. Mickey was quick to make me feel comfortable and said, "that girl over there is small like you." He knew how I was feeling. I hope to talk to "girl-with-small-belly" next class.

There was the typical "comment-girl" who overly participated... she answered every question with authority becuase this is her second pregnancy and her second time in Lamaze. She was also overly excited... I thought. Maybe I was just tired and irritable. There was also the typical "class clown" who interjected with funny comments and questions. I liked his question about sympathy pains. "Are those things real, those sympathy pains??" He said it was more hungry and more irritable since his "baby-mama" became pregnant. Did you know there is a physiological explanation for this? She said that when men kiss their pregnant wife (or baby-mama) that he is exposed to her hormones and they effect his body chemistry. WOW! This makes a lot of since.

We also learned about how a woman's anatomy changes throughout pregnancy. The funniest part, to me, is the difference in the size of the bladder. Epically when the baby "drops" late in pregnancy, the bladder shrinks to an almost flat size. The instructor said, "once your baby drops and you are late in pregnancy, you will be eating more, cleaning more, and resting more... all while sitting on the toilet." I thinking I will need to buy one of those cushioned seats!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

We should get together :)

raedae said...

this post gave me a chuckle. makes me want to hear more about lamaze. that's really interesting about the "sympathy" hormones. it's amazing how little time is left in the pregnancy!

shareshare said...

Haha, what a funny experience. Is Genevieve still hurting your back these days?

I know it's selfish of me, but I was really glad that you were still awake last night so that we could talk a little bit! Call again if you are still up late tonight!